5 Inspiring Quotes for The 4th of Julyby Leah Koenig | July 3, 2012 | 0 comments
We here at Repair the World think just about every day offers some kind of opportunity for service and volunteering. (Just take a look at our archive and you’ll see what we mean.) But when it comes to holidays, July 4th – which is tomorrow – might just take the service cake. After all, it’s a holiday that explicitly celebrates America and freedom.
We can’t think of a better way to honor our country than by serving on its behalf. And what better way to get amped up for volunteering (on the 4th of July, or any day), than with reading the inspiring words of service mavens throughout time. We’ve all heard Margaret Mead’s famous quote: “Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Now, here are five more quotes to get you inspired to honor, enjoy, and serve this July 4th.
- Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation’s compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain love for one another. – Erma Brombeck
- Lose yourself in generous service and every day can be a most unusual day, a triumphant day, an abundantly rewarding day. – William Arthur Ward
- No one has learned the meaning of life until he has surrendered his ego to the service of his fellow men. – Beran Wolfe
- Service is the rent we pay for living. It is the very purpose of life and not something to do in your spare time. – Marian Wright Edelman
- To the world you may be one person, But to one person you may be the world. – Anonymous
How are you celebrating the 4th of July? Let us know in the comments below or by tweeting @repairtheworld.