Make Mom Proud by Giving Back!by Leah Koenig | May 10, 2012 | 0 comments
Flowers, chocolate, breakfast in bed, a day to do whatever she wants without the stresses of everyday life. Moms deserve it all. And with Mother’s Day coming up this Sunday, now’s the time to let your mom know how much you appreciate everything she does – whether you’re near or far away.
But while traditional gifts are lovely and thoughtful, there’s another way to show Mom you care: share your love with service. Moms give so much of themselves to their kids – honor that by taking the opportunity to give back to the world. Here are some ideas to help you make this the best Mother’s Day yet:
- Volunteer together. Spend the day working together at a local soup kitchen or women and children’s shelter, or sharing another volunteer activity. You’ll have a chance to bond, while making your community stronger.
- Volunteer in her honor. Book mom a day at the spa and volunteer in her honor instead!
- Make a donation to cause she loves. Does your mom have a favorite organization or charity? Or an issue she’s passionate about? Let her know you care by making a donation in her name.
- Care for Mother Earth. Make a shared green commitment together, volunteer at a local park, plant a tree or your garden – show mom love by showing Mother Earth some love.
- Baking for Good Order mom cookies, brownies or treats from this awesome bakery and 15% of the proceeds will go to a charity of your choice. Order today and they can still ship to mom in time for Sunday.
Bonus video: Jewish tradition really reveres its moms – just take a listen to this old school song, “My Yiddishe Mama,” sung by Yiddish performer Eleanor Reissa. Then let us know how you plan to make mom feel special this Mother’s Day by tweeting us at @repairtheworld.