Repair the World is dedicated to making meaningful volunteer service a central part of Jewish life. We enable people to transform their neighborhoods, cities and lives through meaningful service experiences, rooted in Jewish values, history and heritage.
Repair the World’s signature program, Repair the World Communities, engages young adults in social change around education and food justice in neighborhoods in Baltimore, Detroit, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and New York City. In each community, Repair staff and fellows use peer-to-peer outreach and recruitment to engage thousands of other young adults in volunteering and learning, support local nonprofits to create authentic and impactful volunteering and education opportunities for those participants, and partner with local Jewish organizations to plan meaningful service-learning opportunities. Through our national programs, Repair inspires and activates thousands of young American Jews to serve their communities through digital campaigns and in-person trainings to individuals and organizations around the country.
Repair the World is seeking a passionate and experienced leader to serve as its next Senior Program Director. The Senior Program Director will provide visionary leadership and management to the organization’s flagship program, Repair the World Communities, with a focus on growing and nurturing the robust team that currently spans six communities in five states and engages more than 20,000 individuals each year. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional organizational and team leader, mentor, supervisor, coach and facilitator. They will be passionate about engaging young adults at the intersection of Judaism and social justice; and, they will rely on relationship-centered and data-driven approaches to drive forward Repair’s programming. This position is based at Repair’s national office in New York and reports to the Vice President for Programs.
- Leading the national vision and implementation of Repair’s Communities program, ensuring that consistent high-quality programming is delivered across the board
- Providing thought-partnership to local directors on strategy, partnerships and engagement tactics
- Fostering a data-driven culture, including setting and monitoring program goals and driving continuous learning and insights from data
- Serving as the central point of communication and partnership between Repair’s national and local offices
- Serving as a role model and teacher to Repair the World Fellows
- Budget management for Repair Communities
- Providing high-quality, growth-oriented supervision of five high-level Directors of Repair’s local offices and Repair Fellowship director at the national office
- Fostering a strong team culture of collaboration, shared learning, high standards, growth, all embodying the values of Jewish social justice
- Working closely with Executive Team, Finance, Operations and Development teams to identify program needs and improve systems
- Cultivating and deepening programmatic partnerships at the national level
- Reporting to Repair’s Board and funders
- Leadership and management: Track record of successful program leadership and management, especially in coaching, inspiring and motivating a team around a common vision.
- Deep interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to connect with executive-level staff, nonprofit leaders and young adults, and especially in connecting Jewish values to service and social justice.
- Innovative thinker: A deep ability to think creatively, to see both the big-picture and the every day.
- Partnership-driven approach: The ability to build and grow asset-based partnerships.
- Agility, optimism and judgment in driving growth through seizing opportunities, learning and course-correcting in real time, and developing strong relationships across communities.
- Content Depth: able to develop and facilitate meaningful Jewish social justice programming for young adults.
- Sophisticated awareness of poverty, structural racism, power and privilege, and ability to discuss these issues with diverse groups in ways that empower and open people to learning.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience, with some experience in the nonprofit sector
- Experience managing multiple high-level staff simultaneously
- Experience with budget management
- Understanding of data management and CRM
- Sophisticated familiarity with the Jewish community of North America
- Participated in or led a volunteer service or experiential education program
- Flexibility, good humor, and eagerness to work in a startup environment
- Commitment to building pluralistic and social justice-oriented Jewish community
- Ability to travel regularly (2-3 times per month)
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume as attachments to [email protected] and indicate your name and “Senior Program Director” in the subject line. Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis. The position is expected to begin in July 2017. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Repair the World.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The organization provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
This is a leadership position with exceptional growth opportunity for a seasoned and effective professional. Compensation will reflect this level of commitment and expertise and will be commensurate with experience.
Generous benefits package includes medical/dental/vision coverage, retirement matching, support for childcare during travel and much more.