How would you describe your mom? Brilliant, beautiful, funny, caring and maybe – just maybe – a little bit “Jewish mother-y?” (The Jewish Daily Forward recently asked people to describe Jewish moms in 6 words, with hilarious results.) No matter how you describe your mom, she deserves to be celebrated!
Mother’s Day is coming up this Sunday, so now’s the time to let your mom know how much you appreciate everything she does – whether you’re near or far away. But while traditional gifts are lovely and thoughtful, show mom you care by giving gifts that give back:
- Volunteer together. Spend the day working together at a local soup kitchen or women and children’s shelter, or sharing another volunteer activity. You’ll have a chance to bond, while making your community stronger.
- Volunteer in her honor. Book mom a day at the spa and volunteer in her honor instead!
- Make a donation to cause she loves. Does your mom have a favorite organization or charity? Or an issue she’s passionate about? Let her know you care by making a donation in her name. The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, for example, is hosting a Mother’s Day campaign in honor of their 25th anniversary. Donate and save lives.
- Give her the chance to donate. Give mom a GlobalGiving gift card, and let her personally pick the projects she wants to support.
- Care for Mother Earth. Make a shared green commitment together, volunteer at a local park, plant a tree or your garden – show mom love by showing Mother Earth some love.
- Give her something beautiful and sustainable. Buy your mom beautiful, handcrafted jewelry, clothing, and other gifts made sustainably and ethically by artisans around the globe.
How are you planning to celebrate your mom this Sunday? Let us know by tweeting @repairtheworld #mothersday.