The One America Movement (One America) was founded by faith and community leaders after the 2016 election to challenge the toxic divisiveness and polarization plaguing American society. One America brings people together across religious, racial, political and cultural divides to address pressing issues in their communities. Through this joint action, we build relationships across divides, address difficult topics through dialogue and create unlikely coalitions that challenge the toxic, divided status quo. We are building a national, transpartisan movement of Americans who are frustrated with broken politics and divisive narratives and believe we can do better.
The One America Movement’s parent organization is the Jewish service organization Repair the World, which is dedicated to making deep and meaningful volunteer service a central part of American Jewish life. We enable people to transform their neighborhoods, cities and lives through meaningful service experiences in partnership with directly impacted communities and rooted in Jewish values, history and traditions.
All employees of the One America Movement are legally employees of Repair the World.
The One America Program and Communications Director (PCD) will oversee One America’s communications and programming across the country. The PCD will lead small teams of One America staffers tasked with implementing communications and programming work, serve as a primary liaison with the media and coordinate One America’s religious leader training academy. The PCD will report to One America’s executive director and work with him on the organization’s overall strategy. This position is based in Washington D.C.
Specifically, the Program and Communications Director will:
- Lead One America’s communications team, ensuring One America’s media, social media, multi-media and web presence are effectively communicating One America’s work. (Projected 40% of PCD’s time)
- Lead One America’s programs team, ensuring One America is reaching its programmatic goals. This is a management/strategy role, but the PCD will also lead a One America chapter him/herself to ensure that our national strategy is informed by on-the-ground experience. (Projected 40% of PCD’s time)
- Coordinate One America’s religious leader training program (Projected 20% of PCD’s time)
PROGRAM AND COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
The PCD will be responsible for:
- Managing two small teams of One America staff to ensure the organization is meeting communications and programmatic goals
- Coordinating with One America’s partner organization Over Zero to implement our religious leader training program
- Reporting to and collaborating with One America’s executive director on programmatic and communications goals
- Representing One America at events, meetings and conferences.
- Speaking to community groups, faith communities and the media about One America’s work.
- Overseeing the implementation of a national programmatic scaling plan, including the creation and then maintenance of new One America chapters working in local areas across divides to address community issues.
- Management and supervision skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment that operates with collective decision-making practices that include the voices and opinions of less senior staff.
- High attention to detail, including strong proofreading skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to relate to people respectfully and with acumen across political, religious, economic, and racial divides.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience and at least seven (7) years of professional experience. Eight to ten (8-10) years preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Twitter, Facebook
- Commitment to building a trans partisan movement to heal our country
- Fundraising experience is a plus.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment while managing competing priorities
- Grasp complex ideas quickly
- Create positive professional relationships across a wide range of working styles
- Be resourceful, proactive and positive in problem-solving
- Manage confidential conversations and information
ADDITIONAL USEFUL QUALIFICATIONS
- Flexibility, good humor
- Understanding of and experience working with executives.
- Knowledge of specific religious traditions, cultures and practices.
- Experience working with faith communities and/or political and religious institutions.
- Basic understanding of the dynamics of divisiveness in American society and intersections with issues of race and religion
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
The salary for this position will be $60,000 to $65,000 annually with potential for growth.
Generous benefits package includes medical/dental/vision coverage, retirement matching, support for childcare during travel, professional development support, and much more.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply online using this link. Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis. The position is expected to begin April 1, 2019. We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with the One America Movement and Repair the World.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Repair the World provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.
The process for the hired applicant will include the following steps:
- Submission of Cover Letter and Resume
- Applicants moved forward will have a first round screening interview with a member of the One America Movement staff.
- Applicants that move forward from a first round interview will have a second round interview.
- Applicants that move on from the second round interview will be asked to complete an exercise before a third round interview.
- Professional references will be requested before the final round of the interview process