With record-breaking temperatures continuing to hit cities across the country, spending unnecessary time outside is unpleasant, and can even be dangerous. But there are some fantastic ways to stay out of the sun – like through volunteering! (You thought we’d say that, right?)
Here are five ideas for fun indoor volunteering opportunities to keep you serving in sweat-free style all summer long. You were planning on waiting out the heat in the AC anyway…why not have some fun and make a difference while you’re at it?
- The library Volunteer at your local public library. When it’s this hot out, shelving books definitely beats baking in the sun!
- The school Help summer school students brush up on their algebra or biology by serving as a tutor.
- The museum Play docent for the summer: volunteer at a local museum. You’ll learn cool things, and stay nice and chilly.
- The non-profit Many non-profits rely on volunteers all year round for a variety of tasts. Bonus: their offices are so cold, you often need a sweater. Find a volunteer opportunity over at VolunteerMatch.
- The swimming pool Sign up to coach swim lessons (or teach other indoor sports) at your local YMCA.