Happy Monday, and welcome back from weekend-land! To get you raring to go this week, here is your regular round up of inspiring service-related stories from around the web.
- The HandsOn Blog started celebrating MLK Day a week early, with a sweet tribute to Dr. King’s tireless service and civil rights advocacy work. (Celebrate MLK this Friday night with Repair the World’s Shabbat Suppers!)
- The Forward, speaking of heroes, featured a story about Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords on the first anniversary of the shooting that left her seriously wounded.
- The Forward also published a stirring essay by Rabbi Steve Greenberg on why he recently chose, as an Orthodox rabbi, to marry a same-sex couple.
- The Worcester Telegram reported a story about a local Massachusetts bill that would enable restaurants to donate leftover food to help feed hungry people.
- GOOD is calling all college changemakers for their new GOODmaker challenge.
- Sustainablog rounds things out with a DIY project for the new year: make your own eco-friendly cleaning products! The “recipes” are fun, effective and cost less than you might think.