Here are some inspiring service-related bits and bytes to read with your morning coffee:
CHECK IT OUT
- JewishBoston.com: By now you’ve likely seen Google’s amazing new “Search On” advertisement tracking a US to Paris love story. Now check out the cute parody about radical Jewish activist Emma Goldman.
- JTA: Read this inspiring story about Jewish doctor, Rick Hodes’, lifesaving work in Ethiopia – and the new HBO documentary film and book about him.
- Michigan.gov The state of Michigan is facing serious budget woes and high unemployment rates. In a wonderfully proactive move, the government is conducting a 10-city listening tour called “Michigan’s Voices for Volunteerism” to hear public input about how to expand service and people-to-people support within the state.
- Forward: The first woman ordained as a Conservative rabbi, Amy Eilberg, reflects on her past 25 years in service, and the state of women’s rights within the Jewish community.
- Philanthropy News Digest: Nominations are now being accepted for the 2010 Mario Savio Young Activist Award. If you know an young (16-26) activist who is doing outstanding work in the fields of social change, promoting peace, human rights, economic or social justice, or freedom of expression, nominate them by June 30, here.
- To Mama With Love In honor of Mothers’ Day – coming up this Sunday, May 9 – an amazing organization is offering people the chance to send their mom a sweet online shout out, while raising money to build homes for kids in need.